Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters
Scholarships for physicians, nurses and relevant health personnel 2012
The Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters (MBC) awards ten annual Scholarships for specialization in the prevention, therapy, care and functional recovery in the field of bum pathology. The scholarships are divided between physicians, nurses and relevant health personnel. The purpose of the awards, in accordance with the terms of the statutes of the MBC, is to promote the interchange of young physicians, nurses and relevant health personnel from specialized centres in the various countries in the Mediterranean area with the aim of achieving a high standard of care and of stimulating an ever greater spirit of cooperation.
The value of each Scholarship is fixed at the sum of Euro 2.065, less taxes. This amount is intended to cover the cost of the return journey and living expenses.
The Scholar has the obligation to attend abroad, for not less than one month, a qualified Centre for the treatment of Burns and their sequelae, situated in one of the countries comprising the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters.
All physicians, nurses and relevant health personnel from countries belonging to the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters are eligible to compete for the Scholarships.
Applications, written in English or French, must arrive by the deadline of 28th February of each year (no account can be taken of any postal delays), addressed to: Segreteria, Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters "Borsa di Studio", c/o Divisione di Chirurgia Plastica e Terapia delle Ustioni, Ospedale Civico, via C. Lazzaro, 90125 Palermo, Italy.
The candidate must specify in the application which Scholarship he or she is applying for (Physicians, Nurses, Health Personnel) and include the following:
- full name, date and place of birth, home address and telephone number;
- the country and the Centre which the applicant intends to visit;
- a brief programme describing the aims which the candidate intends to pursue with the support of the Scholarship;
- a statement by the candidate of competence in a language (English or French) necessary for carryng out the activity, described in the programme;
- the candidate's signature legally authenticated.
All candidates must enclose with the application:
- curriculum vitae, indicating academic record, professional activity, attendance at seminars etc.;
- a declaration of acceptance and training hospitality on the part of the Host Centre which the candidate intends to visit;
- recent letters'of introduction (in the-original or in authenticated copies) from Chiefs of Institutes, Divisions or Services with connected Burns Centre, who are members of the Council, attesting to periods of training confirming the candidate's specific preparation in the field of bum pathology;
- list of qualifications;
- for physicians, additionally;
- degree diploma (with marks), in authenticated copy
- scientific papers, published since graduation
- certificate of introduction or of guarantee issued by the Chief of the Institute, Division or Service where the candidate is currently working.
The Adjudicating Committee is composed of:
- The President of the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters
- The Secretary General of the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters
- A National Representative drawn by lot in the course of the Annual Assembly from among the representatives of the various countries which have not already received scholarships in previous years. This position is not renewable until, in the course of time, the individual countries have achieved equal representation.
The Scholarships will be awarded not later than 30th June each year.
The winners will be informed that within 30 days they must communicate to the Secretariat of the MBC their acceptance, the address of the bank where they wish to have the scholarship money deposited, the period they have chosen to take up the scholarship, and a declaration by the candidate that he or she does not have a criminal record.
The Scholarship must be taken up by 28th February of the year following the award, at the latest.
The Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters will credit in advance two-thirds of the amount by bank transfer, and the remainder on termination of the period chosen, after a declaration of satisfactory attendance issued by the Chief of the Centre where the programme was carried out.
The Scholarship winner must inform the secretariat of the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters "Borsa di Studio" of the beginning of the period of attendance and of any interruptions.
The Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters undertakes to publish the Scholarship winners' names, together with relative motivations, in the "Annals of Burns and Fire Disasters", in which the Council may also publish papers resulting from this study.
Any person interested may request a copy of the official announcement of the Scholarships and other information from the Secretariat of the Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters "Borsa di Studio".